Monday, April 4, 2011

~Creamy Quinoa Primavera~

Yum-o! We are trying to eat healthier meals, which is hard for me because I LOVE trying new things and most things aren't healthy. In fact, Thomas actually stated "I think we should try being vegetarian." (This coming from my husband who has previously only classified a meal as a meal if it has meat in it.) I can't go that far. With that said, the biggest thing that I care about is having flavorful healthy food. Tonights meal was delicious and really easy to make. Now the cream cheese isn't healthy but if you go low-fat it helps and it made enough for two meals so I figure with everything else in it, its ok. The Quinoa is also very high in protein. I hope yall enjoy!!!
adapted from Let's Dish
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups uncooked Quinoa
3 cups chicken or veg stock
4 oz of cream cheese-low fat works great
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3-5 cups of thinly sliced vegetables- i used frozen and let it sit on the countertop beforehand.
(depending on how much veggies you like)
optional: cooked chicken
3 tablespoon grated parmesan

Directions:
{1}
Place Quinoa in a 3 quart pot with the chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until Quinoa soaks up all of the stock.
{2}
While Quinoa is cooking melt butter in a large skillet. Once melted add minced garlic and cook on medium high for one minute or until garlic has slightly browned. Add the veggies (and chicken if you want) and cook for 5-10 minutes until veggies are hot to the touch.
{3}
Add cream cheese and basil to cooked Quinoa. Mix it together.
{4}
Place Quinoa and veggie mix into a large bowl and mix together. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
{5}
Enjoy!!!!


I also made orange cream cookies tonight. they are A-mazing!!! I will post them tomorrow. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment